Monday, February 05, 2007

I had a dream last night that troubled me. The symbolic nature of it is clear to me now. It may not apply to anyone else, but I know it applies to me and my family.

My family and I had traveled (in the dream) to a popular vacation spot. Initially the days were pleasant. We had unpacked our many belongings and were enjoying the crystal blue skies and lush vegetation.

After some time, though, we began to notice things that felt odd. At certain times of day, people staying in the same resort seemed to take on a nervousness and reluctance to go outside. I began watching, feeling an oddness myself. There was a distinct feeling of danger in the air, but nothing I could pinpoint.

Finally I asked. The answer seemed ludicrous at first. "Because of the dinosaurs," came the reply.

"Dinosaurs!" I wanted to exclaim. But nobody seemed to think it odd that dinosaurs were once again roaming the earth. In fact, the people around us, although uneasy, seemed intent on nurturing relationships with the unpredictable animals.

I began to see periodic glimpses of the dangerous creatures through the windows. I could stand the danger no longer and was quite puzzled why the others seemed not bothered by associating with such creatures. Periodically an individual would be eaten by the beasts, a T-rex or another sort, and again, no-one seemed to take much notice.

Not me! I took notice!

In the dream, I began in a fluster to try to pack us up. But we had brought so many things, we had so many material goods, that it was taking me better than a day to try to cram everything back into the suitcases. My shaking hands didn't help, nor did the roaming nature of my younger kids--continually curious at what was going on outside our resort room.

Just before nearly finishing with my packing and feeling so frustrated that no-one else seemed to sense the urgency of the situation, a young teenage girl strolled into my room. She had a bottle in her hand and appeared to be drunk. Eventually the bottle spilled onto the coverlet of the hotel bed. Now I was going to have to clean that too before leaving! And instead of being wine, she had been drinking shampoo with small amounts of alcohol in it.

Suddenly I realized the significance of the dream and woke up.

I realized that in many ways those dinosaurs and the acceptance of them as "fun" (and worthy of relationship building) symbolized today's society. People around us seem intent on accepting that which is really dangerous. And if someone falls "prey" to society's "dinosaurs" (symbolically sharp-teethed and clawed), people noncholantly shrug and continue on their way, as if nothing has happened.

Here is a link to an excellent example of one of society's roaming "T-Rex's", sharp-teethed and clawed, roaming to destroy...yet so many walk near and pretend not to notice.

Upon awaking, I also understood the significance of the young girl drinking alcohol-laced shampoo. The situation had seem so irretractable--she had been in so much despair at the difficulty of fleeing the resort without getting eaten up by the dinosaurs--she'd given in and was trying to die by drinking the shampoo.

~~~

Although this dream was only significant perhaps for me and no-one else--awaking I knew there was significance in it for me (I'm often taught this way through the spirit...perhaps it's because I'm so terribly right brained!)--the importance of the message is universal. We can go through life "asleep at the wheel", paying no heed to society's conditions and/or situations. Or we can pay attention and prepare for that which is to come.

I prefer to do the second.

In the dream, I'd brought so much junk with me that I was not able to flee quickly. This has taught me to re-evaluate that which is important.

In the dream, I'd initially had been slow to define the danger. I'd sensed it but downplayed it just like everyone else. Society's influence had been a bit too potent. Society's opinion had held too much sway. This has taught me to ignore the pundants on TV, the "experts", the strong-opinioned. Instead, my hand is in the Lord's and on my scriptures.

In the dream, the young girl drinking the shampoo symbolized those about me who may despair as world conditions deepen in intensity. Those of us who have scriptural assurance of how to proceed need to help those whose hearts are failing them.

The signs of the times may be subtle if a person is not willing to see them, but for those who want to be ready when Christ comes, the hue and outline of the signs of the times will become brighter, clearer, and more urgent as we are willing to see and act upon them.

Let's GET PREPARED NOW.

No comments: